Feeling a Little Less like a Failure Thanks to The Unmumsy Mum Diary

At the weekend I bought The Unmumsy Mum Diary. I wouldn’t say I had long awaited it, it’s existence had only come into my knowledge a couple of weeks beforehand, but, having read and enjoyed her first book, I was looking forward to reading more.

My verdict? I couldn’t put it down. I pretty much read it in one sitting. I wouldn’t say it was for everyone, my mum in particular simply didn’t get the humour… I was in the car with her at one point whilst reading it, and laughed out loud at several points. When I read it out to her she looked blankly back at me.

If you’re anything like me though, you’ll love it. There were several key parts of the book where I found myself literally lol-ing, but I read most of it with a small smile on my face, feeling like it could be my own life I was reading about.

And ultimately I think that is what draws me to people like Sarah Turner (aka The Unmumsy Mum). The raw honesty in her writing, the fact that nothing is off limits, even thrush (and the term ‘fedgie’ which I now aim to slot into as many conversations as humanly possible).

It’s like getting to know a friend better, listening to all their anecdotes, their history, the thing that makes them them.

And the reason I particularly like reading the unmumsy mum? Her life doesn’t sound completely unattainable. In fact, prior to her huge blog success and subsequent book deals, her life sounds rather similar to a lot of mums (including me). She recounts tales that are hilarious in their own right, but that you can relate to as the situations aren’t too far removed from your own life.

Even now that she’s gone all famous, she still comes across as totally down to earth. It’s refreshing to see someone who hasn’t been changed by their success, who isn’t too stuck up to respond to tweets, to messages from her huge following of fans. What I love in the book is that Sarah uses quotes from said fans within the book, including some bloody fantastic stories, which had me almost peeing my pants laughing (not that hard a feat, having had three kids my pelvic floor is pretty much non existent). I must admit I got a little starstruck when she replied to my tweet at the weekend.

The truth is, reading about the lows of parenthood, and Sarah’s struggles as a mum, makes me feel so much better about myself.

I’ve never really adapted well to the role of mum. It was kind of thrust upon me when I was still at university, and I do sometimes feel I never really grew up, I just kind of put on a charade, which is why it’s so nice to read these books. I feel less like a failure by reading about the ‘failures’ of other mums.

On a night like tonight, when Ed came home from work only to go back out again to a martial arts class leaving me with the three kids, after an already long day, with Benjamin screaming constantly unless I hold him, and Carly’s poorly tummy meaning she’s already changed pj bottoms twice, I can take comfort in knowing that out there are other mums also struggling and wishing they’d had the foresight to pick up a bottle of wine at the shops.

If you can relate to this, you will definitely enjoy reading The Unmumsy Mum Diary. Just don’t read the story about the post labour poo whilst eating, as I did…

19 thoughts on “Feeling a Little Less like a Failure Thanks to The Unmumsy Mum Diary

1. Kirsty Dee

oh will have to read it ☺

2. Babies and Beauty

I love her books, I still have the first one I got for myself to enjoy before Patrick arrived on mat leave but the little plop came early and I know when I start it I wont want to stop so need to find a whole evening haha. This looks just as amazing and can’t wait to snap it up.

3. Emily and Indiana

I loved reading her first book on holiday last year, and I’ve already requested this one for Mother’s Day! The stories are so hilarious and relatable aren’t they xx

4. Lyndsey O'Halloran

I think it really helps to realise other people aren’t perfect mums either!

5. saskiabuzzwiththeb

I must definitely read this! I’ve heard good things! I just don’t find the time to read at the moment but I really should!

6. thatmummyblog

I love the unmumsy mum! Going to her book signing in Exeter next week, I’m beyond excited! x

7. Amy | All Things Amy

I loved her first book so will definitely be getting this one too. She’s lovely isn’t she, and I completely agree that she hasn’t changed since she’s become well known which really does happen often!

8. ClaireBearx

I absolutely love Sarah & her blog. I started to read the first book but I seem to have misplaced it. I bought this one at the weekend and cannot wait to start it! I love her raw honesty and humour. I imagine I’ll get the same looks from my mum/partner as you did from your mum haha! xx

9. hellolatoya

I really need to read this book! Sounds good! 🤗 Take Care!

10. shutthefrontdorr

I’ve never heard of this book but I must check it out! I love relatable stories about motherhood that make us all feel like we can make it. It’s a tough job, but you are doing great!!

11. Dreamer Achiever

Sounds like you have found an excellent book! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

12. Thomas

Very nice post 🙂

13. Thuymi @ AdventureFaktory.com

Sounds like an amazing read, thank you so much for sharing this! It is certainly going on my reading list!

14. watchmeblather

This book sounds like an interesting read and I know a few people who would really enjoy it 🙂

15. Stephanie Turci

I’m nowhere close to being a mommy yet, but its always good to have ideas for the future! Thanks for posting, I’ll make sure to keep it on my book list 🙂

16. prernagargagarwal

Now that you’ve written so many good things about the book, I think I am going to grab myself a copy. Though, I don’t have kids and I don’t know anything about the world becoming a clumsier place with kids around, but if the book is a good read, then why not! 🙂

17. Alice | Letters to my Daughter

My mother in law bought me this for Christmas! I’ve started reading it but if I’m honest, I was enjoying it so much it was giving me a teensy bit of writer/blogger envy (I know, I’ve very ashamed) because I was having issues with mine! I’m in a better place now though so must pick it up again – thanks for the reminder!

1. emma_lou

Ah I know what you mean! I’m glad you’re going to give it another go – such a brilliant book! x